• see my Davidson College page for more info about my work & for my contact info
• cv (Dec 2020) here
- 2021-22, beginning German, with my colleague Dr. Emily Frazier-Rath using the OER text Grenzenlos Deutsch
- new and ongoing archival project about German-Jewish diasporic and Holocaust and apartheid experiences through photographers’ eyes https://writingofmemory.scottdenham.net/
My introduction to German cultural studies course (for intermediate B1-level German learners) will use this archive as a primary source throughout the semester.
- ungrading and liberatory pedagogy (see for example)
- antiracist teaching and research (also related to ungrading and liberatory pedagogy)
- literary translation
- diversity, decolonization, and the German curriculum (guiding principles here)
recent reading courses and independent projects with students include
- a tutorial on trauma literature with a group of students including the very first trauma studies major at Davidson (2021)
- a reading course on Arab-German / Deutsch-Arabische Literaturen (in German) with two students each double-majoring in German Studies and Arab Studies at Davidson (2021)
- a reading course on Hannah Arendt’s The Origins of Totalitarianism and some selected essays (2018 and 2021)
- a reading course on post-colonial theory (2021)
- a summer 2020 pandemic book club on Thomas Mann’s Magic Mountain with alums, students, colleagues, and new friends
- a reading course on queer German history (2020)
- a reading course on Marxist cultural theory (2019)
- a workshop course on the history of Jews and Jewishness at Davidson (2019)
- a tutorial on three novels by Christ Wolf (2018)
- much action 2017-2021 in the radically re-imagined Humanities Program I lead from 2017 through 2021
about the images
I like this scene from Kuhle Wampe (Slatan Dudow, Bertolt Brecht, Hanns Eisler 1932).
Kurt Tucholsky is one of my spiritual and pedagogical mentors.